Founded in 1936, The North Nova Scotia Highlanders (M.G.) was formed by the amalgamation of the Cumberland Highlanders, The Colchester and Hants Rifles, and 'C' Company, 6th Machine-Gun Battalion. When the war was declared the MG was dropped and the became the North Nova Scotia Highlanders in June 1940. That unit was made up of four Companies. ‘A ‘Company Pictou Highlanders, ‘B’ Company North Nova Scotia Highlanders (MG), ‘C’ Company Cape Breton Highlanders and ‘D’ Company PEI Highlanders.
On D-Day, assigned to 9th Canadian Infantry Brigade, 3rd Canadian Infantry Division, this regiment landed on Juno beach. The North Nova Scotia Highlanders along with the Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment, were pushed forward of the main Canadian lines, spearheading the offence into a German division that was trying to force the Canadians back and onto the beaches. They cleared out pockets of resistance and suffering only a few casualties from constant mortar tire and sniper's bullets. For their courageous efforts, they received the battle honour BURON and are the only two units (IIRC) with that honour.
The North Nova Scotia Highlanders
This portrait is part of a series entitled “Storming Juno”.
• It is an open edition and printed on water colour paper using archival inks.
• The size is 12”x18” (for easy to find standard framing).
• The print and certificate of authenticity is signed by the artist Silvia Pecota.
• It is packaged in a clear envelope + archival board and shipped flat.