On June 6th, 1944, alongside the the 3rdCanadian Infantry Division, it was the 2nd Armoured Brigade that was tasked with establishing a bridgehead on the beach codenamed “Juno”.
6th Canadian Armoured Regiment (1stHussars):
The 6th Canadian Armoured Regiment (1st Hussars) landed in DD tanks in support of the 7th Canadian Infantry Brigade of the 3rd Canadian Division. They assaulted and overpowered the German beach defences between Courseulles-sur-Mer and Bernières-sur-Mer and after wiping out enemy resistance moved inland. Throughout the day the 1st Hussars provided fire support to the infantry, neutralizing enemy positions and helping clear each successive town as the advance moved on. One troop from C Sqn advanced the furthest of any allied unit on D-Day without support they had to withdraw. The 1st Hussars ended D-Day with a considerably smaller number of tanks than was desirable for their first night in Europe.
10th Canadian Armoured Regiment (Fort Garry Horse)
The Fort Garry Horse tank regiment, from Winnipeg, Manitoba, was equipped with DD (Duplex Drive) tanks. The DD tanks were Shermans with twin propellers and collapsible canvas sides which provided floatation. The DD tanks were carried on LCT's (Landing Craft Tanks) to about 7000 yards from shore where they were launched into the water and would swim to shore along with the charging infantry.
When the North Shores asked for tank support to take Tailleville , a tank troop from 'C' Squadron was sent up. The y advanced with the North Shores and gave them necessary fire and moral support for the attack . One company of the QOR suffered severely from enemy fire until 'B' Squadron arrived and provided supporting fire. By nightfall 'A' and 'B' squadrons had assisted their battalions on to their positions and were supporting them as well as doing patrol work.
The Fort Garry Horse suffered 13 killed and 12 wounded casualties on D-Day.
27th Armoured Regiment (Sherbrooke Fusiliers)
The Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment was a World War II Canadian armoured regiment created in 1940 with officers and men from two Militia regiments in Sherbrooke, Quebec; in 1942 it became the 27th Armoured Regiment.
On 6thJune 1944, they landed in Normandy with their Sherman tanks and alongside the infantry regiment, The North Nova Scotia Highlanders, they spearheaded the push for the main Canadian lines, combatting a German division thrust that attempted to force the Canadians back onto the beaches. As a result of their courageous success, they received the battle honour BURON and are the only two units (IIRC) with that honour. Their Sherman tank named "Bomb" became one of the most important artifacts from WWII.
The Sherbrooke Fuselier Regiment continued to serve on the front lines throughout the campaigns from June 1944 to May 1945.
The armoured corps lineage of the Sherbrooke Fusilier Regiment is carried forward by the present-day The Sherbrooke Hussars.